Why do I need a FibroScan®?
Chronic hepatitis causes liver damage. Having a FibroScan® is one of the most important things you can do to assess the health of your liver. If the FibroScan® shows there is liver damage, we can recommend other ways to reduce further damage and improve your liver health.
What does it involve?
You will lie on your back, with your right arm raised above your head. A probe will be placed on your skin where the liver is located. The probe generates a sound wave that measures liver stiffness. The degree of stiffness determines if liver damage is present. More stiffness indicates more damage.
What do the results mean?
You will be provided with one of the following results:
• Normal liver/no fibrosis: you have a healthy liver with no scarring.
• Mild fibrosis: You have a small amount of scarring on the liver.
• Moderate fibrosis: You have a fair amount of scarring on the liver.
• Severe fibrosis: You have a large amount of scarring on the liver. We will refer you to hospital for further review and tests. We recommend you take action to reduce future damage to your liver.
• Cirrhosis: Your liver is very scarred, which means your liver won’t be working as it should. You may feel unwell with symptoms of liver failure. We will refer you to hospital for further tests.