Viekira Pak information for GPs
Since October 1 2016, GPs in New Zealand can prescribe Viekira Pak and Viekira Pak-RBV (with Ribavirin) to treat the hepatitis C virus. Viekira Pak is a DAA (Direct-Acting Antiviral) which has cure rates of 95+% and very few side effects. Treatment duration is only 12 weeks’ for most people. Viekira Pak is funded for people with hepatitis C genotype 1a or 1b of the virus.
Click here to view a helpful flowchart which explains how to prescribe the treatment.
Click here for a Viekira Pak pre-treatment checklist
All Fibroscan referrals should be made through your health pathway.
- For referrals in Auckland & Northland please refer to local DHB using Auckland Region Health Pathways (Northern Regional Alliance is the Hepatitis C Programme Coordinator).
- For referrals in Hawkes Bay, Palmerston North and Whanganui please use the Map of Medicine referral pathway (Compass Health is the Hepatitis C Programme Coordinator).
- For referrals in the Midlands region please use BPAC e-referral – ‘Hepatitis C service – Community Service’ for Fibroscan and patient education service and view the pathway of care via the Map of Medicine (Compass Health is the Hepatitis C Programme Coordinator).
- For referrals in Wellington, Hutt Valley and Wairarapa please use the 3 D Health Pathways (Compass Health is the Hepatitis C Programme Coordinator).
- For the South Island please refer to the local DHB using South Island Health Pathways (South Island Alliance is the Hepatitis C Programme Coordinator).
To contact the Hepatitis Foundation of New Zealand – Phone 0800 33 20 10
Accredited NZ pharmacies for delivery of Viekira Pak: